Future Students

Getting Started

Assessing Your Options


UC’s Pre-Admission Advisor can meet with you in our Grayslake or Waukegan facility or by phone to help you determine which programs might help you realize your goals.  She can also link you with the right program contact at each college or university and coach you on questions to ask them to help you compare your choices.  To schedule a pre-admission advising appointment, use our contact form  or call (847) 665-4000.

Download an ‘Educational Planning Tool’ to get you started.

Enrolling in a Program

To enroll in any University Center program, you will need to work directly with the member institution offering it to apply for admission and to register.  Your specific questions about what courses you need, transfer credits, etc., will be answered by that member institution. Many of our member institutions offer information sessions to provide details about specific programs; see a complete list.

Sharpening Your Skills & Brushing Up Your Math

When adults have been away from school for a while, they sometimes worry that they have let their educational skills get rusty.  They may not have a clear understanding of their own strengths.  Fear of math is also common. 

The Bridges to Success Project helps adult students overcome those barriers.  A Next Generation Learning Challenge grant awarded to Anne Arundel Community College (AACC), the Open University (UK), University of Maryland University College (UMUC) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) led to the development of the Bridges to Success Project and its open courseware. 

Two courses and a “webshop” are available free to students. The “Learning to Learn” course will help adults built the confidence and the skills needed to succeed in college. The “Succeed with Math” course will review key math concepts.  An online workshop will assist students in “Overcoming Math Anxiety.”  Access all three from the Bridge to Success website.

Finding Childcare

Some students struggle to establish affordable childcare plans that will enable them to return to school.  The YWCA of Lake County’s Childcare Assistance Programs (CCAP) administers State funds that can subsidize childcare for low-income families enrolled in post-secondary education.  Visit their website for details about eligibility of services.

The College of Lake County has a Children’s Learning Center in both Grayslake and Waukegan.  Visit their website for information about hours and fees.