Applying for financial aid
Students interested in financial aid apply through the Financial Aid office of the member university after applying for admission. The first step is usually to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online or from the university’s financial aid offices. Students reapply for financial aid each year.
Dominican University Graduate School of Social Work Scholarships for Lake County Students
- Dominican’s Graduate School of Social Work offers three scholarship opportunities for Lake County students:
- Dominican University GSSW Lake County Scholarship is for NEW students starting the program in Fall of 2013. The GSSW Lake County Scholarship will cover the cost of one Grayslake GSSW course taken at the University Center in the Fall of 2013.
- The 2013-2014 Dean’s and Graduate Assistantship is for NEW and CURRENT students. The Dean’s Scholarship will award up to $5,000 for the 2013-2014 academic year and the Graduate Assistantship will provide tuition remission for 1 to 2 courses for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- The Healthcare Foundation of Northern Lake County Social Work Scholars program offers a limited number of scholarships for students completing the MSW at the University Center of Lake County who commit to serving high need and high demand populations as demonstrated in teh narrative section of the HFNLC Scholarship application.
North Park SAL Scholarships
Scholarships and other tuition reductions are available to students based on previous academic accomplishments or program selection. Current scholarship reductions in the School of Adult Learning are available for:
- Criminal Justice majors who transfer to North Park University from the College of Lake County. (20% tuition reduction)
- Graduates of St. Augustine College in Chicago. (25% tuition reduction)
- Members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. (5% tuition reduction)
- Chicago land Community and City College students who transfer to North Park with an AA/AS degree or 60 semester hours of transferable credit. (20% tuition reduction) Print and complete the attached scholarship application and mail it to Leslie Bertholdt’s attention to the address listed on the application, or fax it to (773) 279-7522. Contact Leslie Bertholdt for additional information.
Some specific local and national scholarships
- The Gateways to Opportunity Scholarship supports early childhood education providers who work in Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (IDCFS) licensed centers, homes, and school-age programs and who wish to continue their professional education or earn a degree. This scholarship will pay a percentage of the eligible student’s tuition, books, and fees.
- Soroptimist offers Women’s Opportunity Awards to women who are the primary financial support for their families while they are students. Applications are due December 1 each year.
- The Illinois Latino Council on Higher Education (ILACHE) is pleased to offer two $1,000 scholarships to Latino/a students in Illinois who exhibit outstanding commitment to learning, community service, and leadership. ILACHE is an action oriented, independent advocacy group for Latinos in higher education in the areas of access and equity as it relates to employment, college admission, and legislation in the State of Illinois. Download an application. Due date: May 1, 2013
- We compiled a list of several local and national scholarships before the FAFSA workshop series. Scholarship seekers are also encouraged to explore further opportunities via the internet.
Researching scholarships and other forms of financial aid
For comprehensive information about Illinois grant awards and subsidized loans, plus links to help you research other scholarship opportunities, visit the Illinois Student Assistance Commission website. This website also provides advice about how to avoid financial aid scams. Be wary and check the FTC’s Scholarship Scams site before paying for any financial aid application assistance or scholarship searches.
- Fastweb offers a free internet scholarship research service.
- The U.S. Department of Education has a comprehensive set of financial aid resources.
- If you are particularly tall or have a flair for duck-calling or have been promoting vegetarianism in high school, Scholarship.com may have just the specialized scholarship for you. Entertaining reading, even if you don’t find one that pertains to you.
CLC Alumni Scholarship
The College of Lake County Alumni Association Scholarship for $1,000 is awarded to one CLC Alumni Association member who enrolls in an undergraduate or graduate program through the University Center of Lake County. The 2013 application deadline is May 28, 2013. Click here to read about a prior winner.