Beyond the Classroom Aquarium
Building on his participation in the Educators’ Center Teaching Enhancement Activities in Math & Science (TEAMS) project in 2005-06, former Waukegan teacher Bob Jakus has a book, Beyond the Classroom Aquarium, available through a print on demand service. The book includes numerous STEM-related (and fun!) learning activities that focus on aquatic ecosystems. More information is available at http://robertjakus.com.
10th Annual INTC Induction and Mentoring Conference
The Illinois New Teacher Collaborative will host its 10th Annual INTC Induction and Mentoring Conference in Springfield on February 24-25, 2015.
“The Heart of Teaching”
Induction is the catalyst for a successful teaching career. It can turn a bad day into a good one. It is the heartbeat that motivates new teachers to do better from Day One until the last day of school. Induction can develop a value-added mentoring relationship. It helps new teachers determine where they are, where they want to be, and how to become more effective. It works in partnerships with others, including ROEs, education agencies, and higher education. It prepares new teachers to better serve their students.
Join the Illinois New Teacher Collaborative (INTC) at its 10th annual induction and mentoring conference in February 2015, where the heart of teaching emphasizes teacher growth, developing the skills and confidence to have professional conversations, and building high quality mentor/ new teacher relationships.
This conference will feature two days of breakout sessions, Educator Chats, facilitated roundtables, and more. Targeted attendees include induction and mentoring program coordinators, mentors, administrators, higher education faculty, professional development providers, and other stakeholders.
• Focus on new teacher progress, professional conversation skills, and value-added mentoring relationships
• Educator Chats (short presentations on Induction and Mentoring)
• Unconference sessions: U-Share, led by attendee volunteers
• Dedicated networking time
• Exhibitor displays
• CPDU’s and an Administrator Academy (#1573 Supporting New Teachers Through High Quality Induction and Mentoring Programs)
• High ratings throughout nine-year conference history
• Drawing for prizes including $1000 award to district & iPad mini for professional use
• Affordability: $75 registration, state rate hotel rooms ($70 single, $85 double plus tax)
• February 24th evening reception with hearty hors d’oeuvres
• Two full breakfasts & lunches
To find more information about INTC’s annual conference, contact Nancy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://intc.education.illinois.edu/conference